Here are a few of the questions I get asked most often; just click each question to see the answer.
- Why should I work with Ann Levine, the Law School Expert?
I am the founder and Law School Admission Consultant at Law School Expert, and I’ve personally helped over 2,000 law school applicants with the law school admissions process and decisions. I am also the author of the bestselling law school admission guidebook, The Law School Admission Game. You should take the time to read my success stories to understand more about how I have been helpful to others. When I take you on as a client, you will be working directly with me, and I am available to provide you with advice and feedback during the entire admissions cycle for every school to which you apply. I pick up the phone, answer your emails, and personally provide detailed feedback and editing for your applications, as well as candid, straightforward guidance for whatever question you may have. I’ll become your cheerleader and advocate, helping you present the best version of yourself to law schools.
- How do you compare with other law school admission consultants I’ve found online?
Here are the big reasons I’m different:
- You’ll be working directly with me. No employees, receptionists, or middle-people. I give you my cell phone number, answer my own emails, will chat with you on Skype, Facebook, Google Hangouts or whatever method you choose.
- I have experience with every step and stage of the law school admissions process. I have a J.D. degree, but that’s not what qualifies me to advise you. I served as Director of Admissions for two ABA-approved law schools. I’ve been working in law school admissions since 1999 (with a 2 year break in there to practice law), started Law School expert in 2004, and my clients’ success stories speak for themselves.
- You can talk to me before you make your decision. I offer a free initial consultation where we can figure out if we are a good fit; click here to schedule one.
- My goal is to help you make the right decision for YOU, and that means spending the time to get to know you. This isn’t about a pre-determined checklist that may not fit your individual goals or concerns, it’s about guiding you in making the decision that best fits your personality, credentials, objectives, and resources.
- What kind of experience do you have in law school admissions?
I attended law school (but am the first one to admit I did that admissions process all wrong). After getting my J.D., I served as Director of Student Services at University of Denver College of Law, and then as Director of Admissions for Loyola and California Western, all American Bar Association approved law schools. After two years in private legal practice as a litigation associate, I started Law School Expert, and have since personally guided over 2,000 clients through the law school admissions process. Those clients have seen great successes, including the overall trend of my clients being admitted to law schools where they are at, and even below, the 25th percentile statistics for those schools. In 2006, I started the Law School Expert blog. I am also the author of the Amazon.com bestselling and award winning law school admission guide, The Law School Admission Game: Play Like an Expert, as well as The Law School Decision Game: A Playbook for Prospective Lawyers. As the reviews of my books and comments on my blog attest, I’ve helped tens of thousands more people with the admissions process by sharing my expertise.
- Can you just answer one quick question?
Sure! If you’ve searched my blog archives (and thousands of comments I’ve responded to personally!) and I still haven’t answered your question, then feel free to write a comment on a post that covers the topic of your general question. I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
- How do I arrange my free consultation?
Feel free to call 805-604-5039. I personally answer all calls to that number. You can also fill out this form and I’ll get back to you lightning-fast.
- How many people do you work with at a time? How do I know I’ll get the attention I deserve?
I take on a manageable number of clients each year, and I have it down to a system. I arrange my whole life so I’m available for my clients. It’s very important to me that I turn personal statements around within one to two days, that I return resumes and addenda and shorter review items within a day or day and a half, and that I return all e-mails and phone calls promptly. After 18 years, I can estimate really well whether I’m capable of continuing to take on clients. I do everything in my power to deliver the absolute best customer service, to be so responsive to my clients that it actually surprises them how quickly I get things back, and to provide the highest quality law school admission advice available. If you’re concerned that I may not have time for you, please check out my client testimonials, and fill out the contact form and we can talk about it in person.
- What are the differences between your services?
Click here compare what you get with each package.
This is the ideal package for someone that is just dipping their toe into the water. You fill out a detailed survey, then we schedule a 45 minute phone call where we can discuss getting your application cycle off on the right foot, from timelines and goals to what you should include in your personal statement. Available only January 15 – September 15 each year.
If you’ve applied to law schools once, but want to make sure that you’re putting your best foot forward a second time, then this review will cover everything in your previous application, with concrete suggestions for improvement. Available only January 15 – September 15 each year.
Personal Statement Plus
This option is ideal for J.D. applicants who have a well-planned strategy and want advice on their personal statement, resume, and addendum. You will receive end-to-end advice with a final 2-page and 3-page version of your personal statement while working directly with me.
This is the soup-to-nuts, all-inclusive, everything-you-need-to-apply to law school option. It’s perfect for:
- The strong applicant who wants to make sure he/she is doing everything possible to maximize chances for success.
- The applicant who has a few concerns about presenting things in the application, whether it’s a character and fitness issue, or a low GPA or LSAT score, and who wants to make sure he/she is doing everything right.
- The applicant who benefits from following a personalized timeline and checking off boxes as things are accomplished.
- The person who wants to be able to reach out to ask an expert whenever little questions pop up throughout the process.
- Someone who is going to be doing a diversity statement and/or other optional essays and who anticipates tailoring essays to individual schools.
- If you want to have someone who wants to help you make strategic decisions throughout the process (such as whether to re-take the LSAT, how to proceed with an interview or school visit, what to do when on a law school waiting list, and how to negotiate scholarships).
- If you just want to make sure you are doing everything possible, leaving nothing on the table.
- If you want to work directly with me and become my new best friend. I regularly attend former client’s weddings, hear about their new jobs, ad stay in contact for years!
I also offer services for transfer applications and pre-law groups.
- What’s your process for helping me with my applications?
For the strategy session, reapplication review, and personal statement packages, we will send you a questionnaire to fill out and work with you to schedule a phone call, usually all within 24 hours. During that phone call, we discuss your specific situation and plan our next steps together. For the Works unlimited package:
- I create a password-protected online workspace for you that allows us to share documents and drafts and send messages to each other in a way that can be accessed no matter where you are.
- I will send you a Questionnaire for you to complete and a “Getting Started Packet” with a to-do list, information about how to start working on your law school personal statement and a brainstorming exercise, a sample letter of recommendation and other tools.
- After I receive your questionnaire responses, I create a personalized timeline that takes you through the entire process from the day you sign up until your last application is out. You can even sync this calendar with iCal or have it send you e-mail reminders. This method really helps you prioritize, stay motivated, and avoid feeling overwhelmed by all of the work there is to do. Plus, you check off each item as you finish it so we both monitor your progress.
- If I’m submitting different admission essays for different schools, will you review each of them?
Yes. Unlimited review and editing of as many essays as you write is included in the Works package. I will even help you tailor each essay to each school’s requirements. For example, cutting down Berkeley’s 4-page personal statement to 2 pages for Harvard or UCLA. I will also provide guidance on answering questions like “Why Duke” and “Why SMU Dedman” and school-specific nuances that help move you from the “waitlist” pile to the “admit right now” pile.For the Personal Statement Plus, you get unlimited drafts, but it is up to you to change your personal statement as you feel will be appropriate for each school.
- Do you have a sample law school personal statement?
Your personal statement needs to portray your individual strengths, maturity, work experience, accomplishments and diversity. The personal statements in the essay books tend to be over-the-top sob stories that would never work in real life. You need an essay that conveys who you are and what is important to you. It must sound like you; you will find no cookie-cutter essays here.I do not generally believe in personal statement samples or examples – I give each client direction on how to get started writing and what to write about, followed by intensive feedback on content and subject matter.
For ideas and strategies on writing your law school personal statement, The Law School Admission Game: Play Like an Expert offers an entire chapter dedicated to this topic. I also talk about personal statements A LOT on my blog, some of the most popular posts have included: Six Words to Avoid in Personal Statements, Winning Personal Statement Topics for Law School, and Eight Tips for Writing a Personal Statement. Or check out the entire Personal Statement and Written Elements blog category.
- Do you have testimonials from your law school admissions clients?
- How much time will you spend working with me?
With The Works Package, I provide as much time as you need. You are welcome to call and e-mail me as often as you like. There is no “use it or lose it” 3-month time limit; I am with you through the entire admission cycle. The sooner you sign up, the more you will be able to take advantage of having a personal coach through the law school admission process within a particular admission cycle. With the other packages, I pride myself on a fast turnaround and easy availability, usually within 24 hours.
- Can I decide to upgrade from a smaller package to The Works?
Yes! The cost of all other 1L application packages can be applied towards The Works package.
- How familiar are you with law schools outside of California?
Very! There are similarities in what law schools are looking for as qualities in their students, and I know how to best bring those qualities to the forefront of your application. My clients have been admitted to law schools across the country. In addition, I have worked with clients who are all over the world, who are admitted to law schools throughout the U.S.
- Do you only help people applying to Top Law Schools?
No matter what your dream school is, I take your goals very seriously and help you create your strongest possible application. I have former clients attending nearly every law school in the U.S.
- Do you assist applicants hoping to transfer law schools?
Yes! The Transfer Package is specifically tailored to help you transfer after your 1L year for any reason. For clients that we’ve previously assisted, we even offer a transfer discount.